XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Wed May 24, 2017 1:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:43 am 

I have an old MacBook Pro 17" (ca. 2006). I recently replaced its dead HD with a new 500GB HGST 7200rpm HD.

When I ran the original OS installation disk, the new HD would not appear on the list of "destination" HDs to install the OS on. I used the back button to back up a few pages to the "Accept terms/conditions" page. There I selected Disk Utility and noticed that, though it did not appear on the list of destination drives at the "select destination" step, nevertheless the new HD was indeed listed under Disk Utility as the only HD. (The installation DVD was listed as the only other "destination".)

Note: Any attempts to format/erase/zero out/partition the new HD from this Disk Utility results in either an "input/output error" or a "Disk Utility has lost connection, please close and retry" error (this 2nd error is my paraphrase).

Using my other MacBook pro (ca. 2007), I used a USB to SATA cable to format the new HD with 1 partition, using the Mac OS Extended (Journaled) Apple Partition Map (non GUID) setting (including Mac OS 9 drivers). Thanks to the formatting, when I attempt to retry installing the OS again, the new HD now indeed appears on the list of "destination" HDs to install the OS on. However, it is marked by a RED exclamation point and when I select it as the destination for installation, I get the following error:

"You cannot install mac os x on this volume. An error was encountered while running the the volumecheck tool for mac os x."

(This error quote is verbatim, including the 2 "the"s.)

Note: To be sure that I was using the correct installation disk (being that I have 2, thanks to my 2nd MacBook pro) I ran the other OS installation disk and found that it would immediately produce an error stating that the OS could not be installed on the machine. Because the 1st set of OS disks permits me to go farther (all the way to the "select destination" step) I must assume that the 1st disk is the correct disk. Also, I do not understand the difference between the various formatting options. Nevertheless, I reformatted the disk as above, but without OS 9 drivers and got the same result. I tried formatting as above, but not "Journaled" and got the same result (both with/without OS 9 drivers). Lastly, I formatted as above, but this time with GUID and the result was exactly as described in the first paragraph above, with no HD available as a destination.

I have read numerous forums (dating back to 2008) that list this "volumecheck" error, but none of them yield a solution.

Note: The original (dead) HD was labeled in such a manner that I could not discern if it were a 7200rpm or 5400rpm HD.

Is it possible that (due to the age of the laptop) a 7200rpm drive is never compatible and, therefore, the solution is to replace this new HD with a 5400rpm drive? (Along these lines, is it also possible that the 500GB size of the HD is too big for this laptop? I originally bought a 1TB drive and was told it was too big for a laptop of this age.) Any input/guidance would be appreciated. Thanks!

Best,
VC

Last edited by VeritasCinema on Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:16 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Welcome aboard VeritasCinema ! :welcome:

I think any MBP is Intel & needs GUID Partition scheme for the Installer to work, though you can use like Carbon Copy Cloner to clone a GUID installation to an APM Partition.

Very first MBP...

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/m ... _1.67.html

Another problem might be if the drive is SATA 1.5 Gb/s compatible or not, sometimes the Install DDisc will see, or even Install to a faster one, only to find it can't negotiate a boot on it.

If you don't know the model, find the Serial# & use it on one of these sites, but don't post the Serial# here...

http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html

http://www.appleserialnumberinfo.com/Desktop/index.php

How to find the serial number of your Apple hardware product...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1349

What is the 2z691-****-A number on the Install Disc(s)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:41 pm 

Thank you for your reply! I've found the model #, here is the report from the site that you suggested:

Model introduced: 2006
Serial number:
Production year: 2006
Production week: 22 (June)
Production number: 3026 (within this week)
Model Number: MA092
Group1: MacBook
Group2: Pro
Generation: 2
Machine Model: MacBookPro1,2
CPU speed: 2.16GHz/2.4GHz
Family name: A1151
Screen size: 17 inch
Screen resolution: 1680x1050 pixels
Colour: Aluminium
Memory - flavour: DDR2-S-667
Memory - number of slots: 2
Memory - maximum total: 2GB
Memory - largest module: 1GB

The installation disks are as follows:
Disk 1: 2Z691-5719-A
&
Disk 2: 2Z691-5796-A

I am uncertain as to whether or not it's a SATA 1.5 Gb/s issue as I don't know what the specs are on this MBP or the new HDD.

Note: I re-formatted using GUID (Journaled) and find that the original problem of no HDD being listed on the "Select Destination" step has returned. If I open Disk Utility, the new HDD is listed, but not with the name I used when formatting it. Also, its size is listed as 3.6 TB! Lastly, I've attempted this OS installation using 2 new WD HDDs (500GB) and 1 HGST HDD respectively, all with the same behavior.

For reference, here is the report for my functioning MBP, which I'm using for formatting the new HDD (Strangely, they list it as being a 15" MBP, but it's in fact a 17". I've double checked the SN and even tried an alternate site, but everyone lists this MBP incorrectly as 15"!):

Model introduced: 2007
Serial number:
Production year: 2007
Production week: 47 (November)
Production number: 1595 (within this week)
Name: MacBook Pro (Mid 2007)
ModelCode: mbp_mid_07
Group1: MacBook
Group2: Pro
Generation: 31
Machine Model: MacBookPro3,1
CPU speed: 2.6GHz
Family name: Become a pro user to see this information. (sorry)
Screen size: 15 inch
Screen resolution: 1920x1200 pixels
Colour: Aluminium
Memory - flavour: DDR2-S-667
Memory - number of slots: 2
Memory - maximum total: 6GB
Memory - largest module: 4GB

Thanks for your input!

Best,
VC

Last edited by VeritasCinema on Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:02 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

VC, here's your model...

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/m ... 16_17.html
Quote:
Standard Hard Drive: 120 GB (5400 RPM) Int. HD Interface: Serial ATA (1.5 Gb/s)

So now we need the Model of the HDD, or a link to it. Needs GUID btw.

Apple 17" MacBook Pro OS X Tiger 10.4.6 (Full Install) Software Bundle (DVD)
Disk 1 2Z691-5719-A 
Disk 2 2Z691-5796-A 

Once you install 10.4, you can update to the newest version of Tiger (10.4.11) for FREE at apple.com. 

The Tiger manual can be downloaded in PDF from here 

The Tiger Installation and Setup Guide can be downloaded in PDF from here
Compatibility 
17" Inch MacBook Pro Intel Core Duo 2.16GHz 

Machine ID: MacBookPro1,2

http://www.welovemacs.com/2z6915197a.html

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:16 pm 

Here is the HDD link:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/7 ... _SATA.html

It's a 7200rpm drive, but the specs you quote list a 5400rpm HDD. Does this imply that 7200rpm will not work and is the likely culprit?

Best,
VC

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:32 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

5400/7200 doesn't matter for compatibility, 7200 is faster for the same SATA ratings.

Looks like that should be 1.5 Gb/s compatible.

Have you tried GUID or cloning yet?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:37 pm 

Yes, I tried GUID. (See note in my 2nd to last post.) It results in no HDD being listed at the "Select Destination" step. (See above for more detail.) I have not tried cloning yet, not sure how to do that. Will look into it! Thanks!

Best,
VC

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:14 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Ah, reread it, I think the problem is that 10.4.6 doesn't understand the new 4096 Byte Advanced Format disk sectots, 10.4.11 & up does I believe.

So try a clone...

Get carbon copy cloner to make an exact copy of your other HD to the New one...

http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html

Or SuperDuper...

http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/

Can even be done with this older one in Target mode using Firewire.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:29 pm 

When you say my "other HD", do you mean to make a clone of the original, dead HDD? I'm afraid that the dead HDD is now in a landfill somewhere in New Jersey... Or do you mean to use my functioning MBP and clone it's HDD?
I actually did this a few days ago, just as a way of backing up my functioning HDD incase it fails too. As an experiment, I installed the duplicate (cloned?) HDD (from my newer, functioning MBP) in my older MBP and attempted to start it up. When I turned it on, I got a kernel panic and a descending grey curtain with misc. error/code in the background in a sort of DOS style formatting. I figured this was because the HDD had been formatted/duplicated for a specific laptop/serial # and was being rejected for being installed in the wrong MBP.

Note: I used the "Restore" function under Disk Utility, selecting my internal HDD as the source and a new HGST HDD as the destination. It took about 7-9 hours before the process was complete, but I now appear to have an identical copy of my internal HDD.

Is this what you mean by "clone"? Thanks!

Best,
VC

Last edited by VeritasCinema on Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:32 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Quote:
When you say my "other HD", do you mean to make a clone of the original, dead HDD?

Sorry, I meant the working one on the other Mac. But it may need drivers for your older one don't know.
Quote:
I installed the duplicate (cloned?) HDD (from my newer, functioning MBP) in my older MBP and attempted to start it up. When I turned it on, I got a kernel panic...

Did you try leaving that drive in the enclosure & booting up using the alt key to choose it as a boot source on both as a test?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:09 pm 

I just tried booting up while holding down the alt key. The result is a light grey screen with a single HDD icon in the center and an arrow directly underneath it, pointing upwards to the HDD icon. When I clicked on the HDD icon, the result was the same kernel panic as before. I noted that the beginning of the error message states: "Unable to find driver for this platform". Thanks for your assistance thus far!

Best,
VC

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:23 pm 

Snow Leopard runs on that computer, and I would strongly suggest using it since it has full support for 4k sector disks as well as large drive (>2 TB) support. I would also avoid HGST disks unless you have no other alternative. Western Digital would be a better choice and fit for your system.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:46 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Quote:
"Unable to find driver for this platform"

That almost always indicates an install using the wrong Machine specific Disc, or booting from such.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:38 am 

There is no option for GUID (journaled). Are you sure you selected the drive (not volume) in Disk Utility, went to partition (tab), selected 1 partition, clicked on Options and selected GUID Partition Table (AKA GPT), then hit apply?

One nice thing about using GPT is that the partitions are lined up for 4K block disks. Though since it's only 500GB I don't think it'll use 4K blocks.

As for your other disk, did you install all outstanding updates to that system? Or is it still running same version of OSX as came from the factory install disc? Until you update the installed OS it will stay a machine-specific install.

I second the recommendation to move up to 10.6, it's only $20. The only real downside is no Classic support, but at least it still supports older PPC apps through Rosetta.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:31 pm 

Thanks BDAqua, Squishy Tia & MonkeyBoy for your help!

UPDATE:

I spent last night trouble shooting using "outside the box" ideas. Here are the steps that I took in their chronological order:

STEP 1: I opened my functioning (ca. 2007) MBP and moved it's HDD over to the non-functioning (ca. 2006) MBP. The 2006 MBP booted without a problem and, when I logged in, it was as if I was now using the 2007 MBP. (I was able to access all of the files/programs without a problem. The only exception being that some programs now asked for a license to be entered.) I believe that the fact that the HDD from the 2007 MBP works fine in the 2006 MBP establishes that there is nothing wrong with the cables/motherboard in the 2006 MBP. Therefore, the problems encountered with attempting to install a new HDD, and subsequently the OS, on the 2006 MBP must have to do with either the HDD, the installation disks or both.

Note: I am the original owner of both MBPs. I kept the original packaging/disks and, until two days ago, had never touched the installation disks that came with the MBPs. (The disks were still cradled in the boxes that the laptops were packaged/shipped in.) When I first sat down to install the HDD and OS on the 2006 MBP, I was not sure which set of disks was the correct set, so I tried both. The first set I tried, immediately gave me an error stating that the OS could not be installed on the laptop. When I tried the 2nd set of disks, I did not encounter any error and the installation proceeded smoothly until I encountered the "select destination" problem that is described in my 1st post at the top of this discussion. Consequently, I believe that I am using the correct installation disks. Please also note that the "original" HDD from the 2007 MBP (which I used to test the cables/motherboard of the 2006 MBP) is a 200GB 7200rpm HGST. In order to reduce as many variables as possible, I am using HGST HDDs exclusively while trying to resolve this problem.

STEP 2: I used free SuperDuper! cloning software to clone the 2007 MBP HDD onto a 500GB 7200rpm HGST. This cloned HDD successfully booted on the 2006 MBP exactly as the source HDD did as described in STEP 1 above. This established that the make/model of the newer HGST HDD was compatible/functional with the 2006 MBP.

STEP 3: With the cloned 2007 HDD installed in the 2006 MBP, I connected a new 500GB 7200rpm HGST HDD (erased/formatted GUID) to the 2006 MBP via a USB/SATA wire connection. (see Image 1)

STEP 4: Next, I ran the OS installation disk on the 2006 MBP and followed the usual steps (select language, agree to terms, etc.). At the "Select Destination" step, the new HDD was listed as "selectable" and marked with a green icon. I selected the HDD and proceeded with installing both OS disks successfully.

Note: Subsequent to installation of the OS, I re-booted the 2006 MBP and followed the prompts for setting up/registering the MBP, etc. Once complete with registration, I successfully logged into the laptop as if it were a new machine. The only unusual thing is that there is no grey "internal" HDD icon on the desktop, instead there is yellow HDD icon in the style of an "external" HDD. (see Image 4) Though there are 2 HDDs (one connected internally and one connected externally via USB/SATA) connected to the 2006 MBP, there is only 1 HDD (the externally connected one) that appears on the list of HDDs. Please also note that immediately after logging in, there is an error message that states "Disk Insertion: The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer." (see Image 4) After a few moments, the message goes away.

NEW PROBLEM:

STEP 5: I removed the cloned 2007 HDD from inside the 2006 MBP, then disconnected the 2nd HDD (with the recently installed OS) from the USB/SATA cable and placed it inside the 2006 MBP. When attempting to boot the 2006 MBP, the boot starts as normal (see Image 2) but, after a few moments a grey "no" symbol appears (see Image 3). After 1.5 hours of this screen, I did a hard shutdown/restart. The "no" symbol returns every time I restart.

STEP 6: To be certain that the OS was installed on the 2nd HDD (as opposed to the cloned 2007 HDD), I removed the 2nd HDD from inside the 2006 MBP and returned the cloned 2007 HDD to the inside of the 2006 MBP. (Leaving the 2nd HDD unconnected to the USB/SATA cable.) I re-booted the laptop and it behaved exactly as described in STEP 1 above, with no sign of the OS having been accidentally installed on it.

STEP 7: While keeping the cloned 2007 HDD inside the 2006 MBP, I returned the 2nd HDD to the USB/SATA connection and re-booted. The result is a successful boot and the return of the logging in behavior described above at the end of the Note for STEP 4.

At this point, I'm not certain how to simply install 1 HDD in the 2006 MBP. It appears that I need a cloned HDD running on the laptop to be able to get the Installation disk to recognize the 2nd HDD at the "Select Destination" step of the installation process. However, once installation is complete, it appears that the only way to use the 2nd HDD is to leave it connected externally and leave the cloned HDD internally....

Note: I originally started with 500GB 7200rpm WD HDDs. After encountering the same problem listed in my first post, I moved to HGST to eliminate the WD variable. Being that Apple shipped the MBP with an HGST HDD, and given that the 2 WD HDDs behaved no better, I think that it is reasonable to stay with HGST for now.

Any other thoughts or suggestions?? Thanks!

Best,
VC

Attachments:
Image 4.jpg
Image 4.jpg [ 749.15 KiB | Viewed 4303 times ]
Image 3.jpg
Image 3.jpg [ 622.67 KiB | Viewed 4303 times ]
Image 2.jpg
Image 2.jpg [ 649.51 KiB | Viewed 4303 times ]
Image 1.jpg
Image 1.jpg [ 745.54 KiB | Viewed 4303 times ]

Last edited by VeritasCinema on Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:21 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

OK, at Step 7, what are the actual Installed OSx versions of both?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:59 pm 

The disks state that they are OS 10.4.6 (Disk 1: 2Z691-5719-A & Disk 2: 2Z691-5796-A) and this is what is installed on the 2nd "external" HDD that is connected via USB/SATA. (This is the disk that I am attempting to install internally on the 2006 MBP.)

The "internal" cloned 2007 HDD is running OS X 10.5.8. (This is the disk that is a copy of the HDD running on my functioning 2007 MBP.)

Thanks!

Best,
VC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:41 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

OK, great work so far on your part, I truly think the external connection handles 4K sectors And 10.4.6 of course does not, AND when internal, the drive is NOT negotiating the slower SATA Drive properly... yeah, it may supposed to be, but Apple's early SATA 1.5 Gb/s isn't aware of later protocols needed.

Seems clear to me you need to boot that one from an external, or find a SATA I drive...

Is your HDST one of these models?

http://eshop.macsales.com/MyOWC/Upgrade ... p&man=HGST

According to OWC, all of these work for the Earliest MBPs... OS version may still apply though...

http://eshop.macsales.com/MyOWC/Upgrade ... rnal+Drive

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:03 pm 

In step 2, did you install the cloned (and bootable) 500GB HGST disk internally, or did you have it connected externally?

I suspect you're looking at some kind of odd chipset incompatibility, but maybe it's a 10.4.6 thing. Any chance you could try updating 10.4.6 to 10.4.11 when it's connected (and bootable) externally? Man, that's got to be slow.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:28 pm 

Thanks BDAqua & MonkeyBoy for your assistance! After my last post I continued to work until reaching a conclusion late in the night. I've just read your posts from last night and thought you'd be interested in a report on the outcome.

FINAL UPDATE:

STEP 8: While keeping the cloned 2007 HDD inside the 2006 MBP and the 2nd HDD connected via USB/SATA cable (see Image 1 above), I booted the MBP and logged in to the newly registered desktop environment (see Image 4 above). Once logged in, I ran the "Software Update" wizard under the Apple menu. This yielded numerous driver updates, etc., all of which I accepted and installed. After the updates were installed, the MBP restarted and I logged in again. Notably, upon logging in I did not encounter the error described above at the end of the Note for STEP 4. In addition, both HDDs (internal & external) now appeared on the desktop. (see Image 5)

Note: Both the internal (cloned) HDD and the external HDD (with the newly installed OS) are identical make/model 500GB 7200rpm HGST HDDs bought simultaneously.

STEP 9: I continued with 4-5 rounds of updates and restarts until there were no more updates to install.

STEP 10: Once all updates were completed, I shut down the MBP and removed the cloned 2007 HDD from the MBP, instead placing the 2nd HDD (with the newly installed OS and updates) inside the 2006 MBP. I re-booted/logged in without any error and the new internal HDD continued to show on the desktop as it should. (see Image 6)

Note: I have subsequently installed Leopard (OS X 10.5.8) and the 2006 MBP appears to be running smoothly.

CONCLUSION: I believe that the combination of new HDD and old (original) OS installation disks created a catch 22 where the new HDD would only function if certain later drivers (not present on the installation disk) were installed. Ironically, these drivers could only be installed using a functioning HDD with an OS installed on it.

SOLUTION: The work around in this instance was to temporarily install a "functioning" (cloned) HDD in the MBP and connect the intended destination HDD via USB/SATA cable in order to install the OS from the original OS disks. Once installed, the OS could then be used to update drivers and make the new HDD and OS fully compatible with each other. Having fully updated the new HDD, it was now possible to remove the temporary (cloned) HDD and install the new HDD in its place.

Note: It might be possible to avoid "temporarily" installing a HDD on the destination MBP and instead use a setup similar to Image 1 with a 2nd, functioning MBP. This would provide the internal HDD necessary to install the OS on the external HDD, without requiring temporary installation of an internal HDD on the destination MBP. Once the OS and updates were installed on the external HDD via USB/SATA cable, the external HDD could be installed on the destination MBP as described above in STEP 10.

Thank you to all who contributed to this discussion!

Best,
VC

Attachments:
Image 6.jpg
Image 6.jpg [ 578.87 KiB | Viewed 4277 times ]
Image 5.jpg
Image 5.jpg [ 659.44 KiB | Viewed 4277 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:25 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Good work, great news, thanks for the report! :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:17 pm 

Good news!

I recall there being some problems with 500GB disks and some SATA chipsets when 500GB HDs were new, perhaps it's something along those lines with the internal SATA chipset. By updating to 10.4.11 you updated the SATA chipset's drivers, which could have worked around a problem with 500GB & larger disks.

Thanks for coming back and letting us know!