XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Wed May 24, 2017 1:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:43 pm 

My god it's been a while since I've been on here.

Rummaging through the server room at my job I found a Macintosh portable, and the accompanying case for it.

Cosmetically this thing is nearly mint. I let it sit on a shelf in my office for some time but yesterday I decided to try and fire it up.

I plugged in the AC adaptor, threw out the old 9v battery and attempted to start it. The SCSI disk would spin up, down, up down, etc...

Read up on the topic and noticed that this machine truly requires a good battery to properly function as in it needs the battery's VA to spin up the SCSI disk and power the floppy. So I found some cells to refurbish the battery:

http://www.alliedelec.com/search/produc ... U=70157706

I haven't pulled the trigger just yet on this project, but I'm thinking it may be possible that, given so little use, this battery might be useable as it is.

Next steps: multimeter!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:19 pm 

that would be really cool if you got it working! :ugeek:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:37 pm 
Master

The Mac Portable was not a complex beast so you should be able to coax it back in to operation with fair ease. The only trick with the weirdly shaped battery is to get the same voltage with at least as many available amps by linking the lead acid cells in the right serial/parallel arrangement...and the right polarity! I don't remember what voltage it used, but I think it was only something like 6 - 9V, which should be very easy to accomplish with very cheap cells.

I've actually never taken one apart. It's probably the only model of vintage Mac I've never had my hands inside, but I did replace the batteries on several them, albeit with new Apple parts not rebuilt from scratch.

Keep us updated and be sure to post some pictures. :)

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:29 pm 

Found this battery - seems to be at or near the portable battery's specs and is slightly smaller. Adapting this battery shouldn't be very difficult...

http://www.alliedelec.com/search/produc ... #tab=specs

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:54 pm 
Master

The other trick is getting the battery to physically fit. I'd also consider opening up the old battery, pull out the cells, then put in new ones. You can use multiple small cells in parallel to act like one large one without affecting the voltage -- each additional cell adds its amperage to the total. If you need higher voltage, you can connect them in series as well/instead.

I'd bet a Dremel or hacksaw could make quick work of the old battery pack. Just be careful to avoid cutting the old cells if possible. Busted lead acid cells can be messy as they dribble lead-saturated acid all over the place, although it's likely cells that old are totally dry by now.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:21 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Long time no see! :welcome:
Quote:
Unlike later portable computers from Apple and other manufacturers, the battery is charged in series with the supply of power to the computer. If the battery can no longer hold a charge, then the computer cannot run on AC power and hence it will not boo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macintosh_Portable

$7,300 with HDD!

http://oldcomputers.net/macportable.html

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:26 pm 

Yeah, the battery definitely has to be charged and working in order to use a luggable. As I recall early models actually ran entirely off the battery 100% of the time, regardless of whether it was plugged in or not, but someone decided that wasn't the greatest idea and shifted some parts of it around so they could run solely off wall power. Unfortunately they didn't change everything to work that way.

Good luck getting it working, so long as you get the voltage within the right operating range you should be fine. If it came with a battery pack you should be able to tear it apart and find out all the specs from the printing on the batteries.

What was the "portable" Mac clone that came out around that time? You plugged the ROMs from a Plus or SE or another model into their board and voila, you had a Mac Portable that was half the size, a quarter the weight, twice the battery life, and very little quirkiness. Wallaby? Kangaroo? It had a kangaroo as its logo...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:05 am 

I spoke with my local interstate battery and they said they could rebuild the original battery for $50 - seems like a good deal to me!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:50 am 

That sounds like an excellent idea, and pretty reasonable given that they'll match up batteries that fit in the original casing for that price.

Outbound was the laptop I was thinking of. Their pointing device was kinda iffy but worked well enough.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:06 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Thanks MB, wasn't aware of any Apple "compatible" portables. :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:21 am 
Master

I liked the roller bar in the Outbound machines. They were generally nice computers, spec'd higher than Apple machines at the time, using ROMs from old compact Macs. I never owned one, but I used them on a few occasions.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:36 am 

I supported a couple of them, and thinking back the roller bar was probably dirty since both systems had been in heavy use before I encountered them. Bearings do like to be maintained.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:01 am 

a bit of an update... I purchased a fresh 9v battery for the portable.

That's all I've done so far :| Been busy at work and working at grad school.

I found the original case for it! That's winning... :D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:46 am 

johnwood wrote:
a bit of an update... I purchased a fresh 9v battery for the portable.

That's all I've done so far :| Been busy at work and working at grad school.

I found the original case for it! That's winning... :D

Awesome! Make a video when you get it all going?